Habitual Traffic Offense Lawyer
If you have been charged with a habitual traffic offense, you may lose access to your driving privileges. Contact a habitual traffic offender attorney at the Law Offices of Michael B. Brehne, P.A. today to reinstate your privileges.
What Is A Habitual Traffic Offender (HTO)?
If a driver accumulates at least three of the following traffic offenses within a five-year period, he/she may be classified as a habitual traffic offender by the Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Driving with a revoked or suspended license
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter (as a result of the operation of a motor vehicle)
- Hit & run/failure to provide aid after an accident results in injury
- Any felony caused by the operation of a motor vehicle
- Operation of a commercial motor vehicle without privilege
- Fifteen convictions for moving traffic violations
If you are a habitual traffic offender, it is vital that you contact an experienced traffic violations lawyer in Orlando as soon as possible as there are legal consequences.
If you are classified as a Habitual Traffic Offender in the state of Florida, it will be documented in public records and you will lose your driving privileges. For a five year period, your license will be revoked and you will be unable to operate vehicles on the road. Further, you will not be eligible to apply for a hardship license (i.e. in order to travel to work and/or transport children to school) until you have served a year without any license at all. Even after this year, it may be difficult to obtain a hardship license. If a habitual traffic offender drives during the five year time period, he/she may receive further legal penalties, such as excessive fines and jail time. The penalties for habitual traffic offenders may seem harsh, but the Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles seek to protect everyone on the road by revoking your license if it is proven that you accumulate too many traffic offenses. At the Law Offices of Michael B. Brehne, P.A., a traffic lawyer can assist you.
Removing HTO Suspensions
Contrary to popular belief, there are ways to remove a HTO status and/or license suspension. It is possible with the legal expertise of a traffic defense attorney. In the state of Florida, habitual traffic offenders have a period of up to two years to take action against a traffic offense. By fighting against the traffic offenses, the amount of traffic offenses on one’s record decreases, allowing the status of a habitual traffic offender to be inapplicable. Every traffic offense is different, however, and depending on the specific time and circumstances of the traffic offense, it may be difficult to remove. With an Orlando traffic attorney, you will gain assistance with the following:
- Locating and gathering supporting documents, photographs and information that suggest that a traffic offense is/was unnecessary or invalid
- Demonstrate the unique circumstances that led to a traffic offense; allow you to be seen as a driver who made an inevitable decision as opposed to a driver who made an irresponsible decision
- Direct advocacy, negotiation and communication with local police authorities
- A thorough review and analyzation of your driving record; legal advice and guidance
Traffic Defense Attorneys in Orlando, FL
At the Law Offices of Michael B. Brehne, P.A., our traffic defense attorneys in Orlando, FL understand how inconvenient a habitual traffic offense may be. Not only does it result in a license revocation for up to five years, but it may pose significant troubles for drivers wishing to pursue certain types of employment, purchase a home, or establish and build credit. If you have been labeled as a habitual traffic offender, there is no reason for you to fight these ramifications alone. Our Orlando traffic attorneys understand that you have responsibilities and duties that are achievable with the operation of a vehicle. We are also aware of the many ways that a responsible driver may fall into traps on the road that result in traffic offenses. No matter what type of driving record you may have, allow our traffic defense law firm to help.